Natural Remedies that Relieve Heartburn, Prevent Reflux and Cure GERD
Natural remedies have many health benefits and advantages over conventional medicines. First of all they tend to have fewer if any side effects, particularly if they are food based because our digestive systems are naturally equipped to cope with them. Secondly as they are harvested from mother nature instead of mass-produced in a laboratory, they are usually much less expensive than artificial drugs. Most of them are available at your local grocery or health food store. Thirdly our knowledge of the curative properties of many natural remedies and herbs goes back literally hundreds or thousands of years. These natural medicines have stood the test of time for efficacy and safety.
In our modern world however, natural remedies have one important shortcoming over conventional medicines. These remedies exist naturally in our environment and by law cannot be patented and thus profitably mass marketed to the general public1 like a pharmaceutical drug. Many doctors won't tell you about them because they never learned about them in medical school. Thus it is often up to the consumer to become educated about the tremendous health benefits they provide.
In the case of heartburn, GERD, gastritis and other digestive ailments, the Reflux Defense System (RDS) has identified several proven natural remedies that provide immediate relief of symptoms and improve your overall digestive health. They work by stimulating the body's own self healing properties and improving five basic aspects of digestive function:
- Reducing Inflammation of the Esophagus and Lining of the Stomach
- Improving Lower Esophageal Sphincter (LES) Strength and Function
- Increasing the Efficiency of the Digestive Process in the Stomach
- Harmonizing Saliva Production and Peristalsis
- Fighting Harmful Bacteria and Fungi in the Gut
1. Reducing Inflammation of the Esophagus and Stomach Lining
The source of pain for GERD and heartburn sufferers is inflammation of the esophageal tissues. The first objective of the Reflux Defense System is to reduce esophageal inflammation thereby diminishing pain but also speeding the healing process and reversing the impairment of LES function caused by swelling of the surrounding tissues. By the way this is pretty much the only benefit of taking antacids and acid blockers but then you unfortunately get all the side effects as well. The stomach lining can be inflamed for a number of reasons including but not limited to bacterial infections, allergies, candida overgrowth and ulcers. The RDS will introduce you to powerful natural anti-inflammatory foods and drinks that provide immediate pain relief.
2. Improving Lower Esophageal Sphincter Strength and Function
The stomach is built to handle high acidity but the esophagus is not. The lower esophageal sphincter is the crucial valve that permits food and drink to flow into the stomach but prevents the gastric juices from flowing back into the esophagus. Perhaps the most common cause of GERD is a weak or incompetent LES. Fortunately there are several natural remedies and foods to stimulate the body's chemical pathways and help increase the LES "closing pressure" to reduce or eliminate back flow of stomach acid.
3. Increasing the Efficiency of the Digestive Process in the Stomach
Reflux is often caused by too much food lingering in the stomach for too long. When the stomach has finished its normal digestion the parietal sphincter at the bottom of the stomach is supposed to open to release food into the small intestines. However, if this process is delayed and too much pressure builds up, it is no surprise that gastric juices force their way back up through the only other opening available, the lower esophageal sphincter. That's why you sometimes get indigestion after a somewhat too hearty or rich meal. Aside from eating smaller meals the way to address this by speeding up the digestion. This is one reason why young people experience indigestion far more rarely than their elders. They simply have a more efficient digestive systems. The RDS has identified a simple combination of natural remedies and dietary supplements that will help speed your lunch or dinner along its merry way by quickly transforming stomach contents from solids to the desired soupy liquid consistency, where after it can be quickly transported from the stomach into the intestines.
4. Harmonizing Saliva Production and Peristalsis
Peristalsis is the rhythmic motion of muscles to move digested materials through the gastrointestinal system. This process starts in the mouth with chewing and saliva production. Saliva actually contains numerous enzymes that speed the digestive process along as well as lubricating the ball of food (bolus) to aid it downward journey through the esophagus after being swallowed. Saliva also protects the mouth and esophagus from bacteria and is an aid to healing any residual damage. Therefore is important to stimulate saliva production. The RDS enlists a packaged combination of tasty herbs in this process.
Helicobacter Pylori (abbreviated: H. pylori) is the most pernicious instigator of common bacterial stomach infections. H. pylori can be a very dangerous parasite because unlike all other bacteria it is able to survive and thrive in the acidic environment of the stomach. It tends to burrow itself into the mucosal lining of the stomach, intestines or lower esophagus where it can wreak all sorts of damage. For example, it is estimated that between 70 - 90% of all ulcers are caused by H. pylori. This nasty bug has also been linked to GERD, gastritis, heart disease and even stomach cancer.
H. pylori can be treated with powerful antibiotics but the RDS has also identified several natural remedies which can help eradicate this pesky parasite.
Candida is a type of yeast which is almost always present in the gut at some level. Usually the combination of stomach acid and competition from the benevolent bacteria in the gut keep candida below harmful levels. However, when either of these natural restraints are diminished, for example through stomach acid suppression, antibiotics (yes they kill the good bacteria as well as the bad ones), or excessive alcohol consumption, the yeast can take over. Candida overgrowth can lead to heartburn, GERD, urinary tract infections, food allergies, depression, leaky gut syndrome and many other ailments.
The RDS identifies several natural remedies that help the stomach keep candida in check and restore balance in gut ecosystem.
References and Footnotes
- By law natural remedies are unpatentable and are therefore commodities which cannot be exclusively owned or branded by a single company. Unless a single producer or consortium of producers control the means of production, commodities cannot be profitably mass-marketed to the general public. Furthermore, without the support of a patent, companies cannot afford to invest the tens or hundreds of millions of dollars required to complete clinical trials required by the FDA as their investment would be immediately lost to their competitors. Due to the lack of corporate or government funding of controlled double-blind clinical trials of naturally occurring commodities the FDA tends to limit the claims that can be made in regard to foods, herbs, natural supplements, vitamins and minerals through statements such as "evidence is limited and not conclusive" or "these claims have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration". Therefore, allopathic medicine (aka. conventional western medicine), supported by billions of dollars in marketing, medical grants to universities, lobbying and legal funding has steadily increased in importance since the early 1900s when the FDA was created. However, so called "alternative medicine" is still the predominant form of medicine in many countries around the world. Homeopathic medicine for instance is the second most frequently applied branch of medicine on a world-wide basis. Chinese medicine ranks first and allopathic medicine ranks fourth.
|Side Effects of Antacids and Acid Blocking Drugs||The Reflux Diet: Eating Well to Avoid Heartburn|